*** THIS IS WORK IN PROGRESS ***
This post ist the documentation of the development of a new extruder-unit for the ulitmaker 3D Printer.
The one that is currently in use seems to have some problems with the soft ABS-material.
The little diameter of the extruder bolt often digs in the ABS and in result, the material-flow stops.
The new concept has three new approaches:
– a big (60-80 mm) transport-weel-diameter could solve the “digging-in” problem.
– sharp cutter-blades cut into the abs without big resistance but give good grip.
– a worm-drive gives a good transmission in a small package.
currently the transmission is not big enough and results in missing motor-steps.
But a solution to that problem is on the way.
*** UPDATE – 3.7.11 ***
I changed some elements of the first design, the ratio is now the same as the original extruder, but with a much bigger transport weel (and very sharp cutter teeth).
It seems to work very smoth (a little WD40 was needed…) with a lot of power. The usual “digging in” did not happen yet!
I also added a fast-lock-mechanism.
*** UPDATE 2 – 16.7.11 ***
We ad some new featues!
– Super easy to use 3-step clamp
– Improved Cabel-Guide
– Acrylic Gears, Now you can see what’s going-on in the extruder!
– improved Worm-drive- Axis
Plans and Description will follow soon!
PDF Plans for the Concept: EXTRUDER_25.6.2011